Port of Seattle: Tent City under Magnolia Bridge

Posted on September 2nd, 2017 by Sara

By reporter Steven Smalley

A recommendation by the Port of Seattle (POS), in conjunction with the City of Seattle and other community groups, is in process to locate Tent City 5 on Port property adjacent to the eastern side of the Magnolia bridge. Called the “Tsubota Property,” at 1601 15th Avenue West, the proposed encampment would be situated on the northwest corner of 15th and the bridge.

The Port of Seattle Commission takes up the issue at its September 12 meeting. If approved the current tent city, made up of 70 residents, their small structures, and tents will move from its current location behind the Dravus QFC and relocate for up to two years, according to a POS website document.

A public meeting in Magnolia is scheduled for this Wednesday, September 6 at the Magnolia Community Center at 5:30 p.m. The public can ask questions and make statements, according to a Port representative who spoke with Magnolia Voice.

For more information email: homelessness@seattle.gov

11 responses to “Port of Seattle: Tent City under Magnolia Bridge”

1. Bre says:

Under the Magnolia bridge???? Are you kidding???
    Another ridiculous idea!!!!!

2. Buck Faulkner says:

Seattle is looking more and more like
    Rio;but without the great beaches. I am again just glad I live in an area where the people in charge have some degree of understanding the basic nature of the human race. I am afraid most of the US population has no idea as to what is going on and will not be able to know why they are not going to have the opportunity and lives they should.

3. Buck Faulkner says:

I did not allow for any moderation of my comments. Who and what authority gives anyone the right to “MODERATE” my comments?

• Sara says:

Hi Buck,
      Your comment was “Flagged” for some reason, sending it into a “pending” folder. As the owner and editor of Magnolia Voice, I have the right and authority to moderate comments and keep an eye out for spam and comments that don’t follow our guidelines. Our guidelines are few: keep it clean, keep it kind, and keep it above board. Your comment shouldn’t have been flagged.

4. Mark says:

Why is it Ballard and Magnolia get the majority of these tent encampments ?
    Where is Laurelhurst, Ravenna , West Seattle, Capitol Hill and the rest of city ?

5. Terry Richardson says:

The email homelessness@seattle.gov kicks back your message. Is there another email option?

“Your message to Homelessness@seattle.gov couldn’t be delivered.
    Homelessness@seattle.gov only accepts messages from people in its organization or on its allowed senders list, and your email address isn’t on the list.”

6. David says:

Seattle would rather house the homeless with welcoming arms, while allowing business, large and small, to leave. The next encampments should go in front of Sawant’s house. Wake up Seattle!

7. Ross says:

I am new to Seattle and new to the neighborhood (living next to SPU). It is evident that homelessness is a problem here (though not as bad as SF, San Jose, or even Denver).

When I first read this headline, my first instinct was to shout NIMBY! But then thinking about it I realize that having a tent city in an unused industrial area in reasonable proximity to social services downtown is a pretty reasonable solution.

Then, reading the rest of the article I became aware for the first time of the existing homeless camp behind the QFC that I shop at. If I am not experiencing or noticing negative impacts (crime, public drug use, public urination/defecation) from this camp that is so close to where I live and shop, then I should have no problem with the new location.

I trust the organizers are committed to running this necessary imposition in a humane and respectful way that balances the needs of residents with the needs of the indigent since there is public oversight of the project.

8. dave says:

Another great plan by our city council. How about if we move it in front of Sawant’s house?